Thursday, July 19, 2012

What the PUPPP???

I am warning you now, the following post is not a cute and fun post. I am writing about the worst physical pain I have ever experienced, and hope nobody I know ever has to experience this horrible pregnancy symptom in what should be the most beautiful and exciting time of your life. 

On Friday July 6th, I called out from work. Those of you who know me know how addicted I am to my work, and would only call out if I was literally dying. I was up all Thursday night with these horrible leg cramps, and could barely walk making it impossible to go to work. I also noticed I was starting to itch alot on my leg. I had these tiny little red bumps, which I thought was a bug bite from being outside on the 4th. Even though I was not at work, I logged on to a two hour long conference call to review our Dolce &Gabbana buy for Spring 2013. As I listen to all the amazing goodies we have to choose from from my favorite Italian duo, I started to notice these little bumps on my arms, which really itched. I had recently read about a pregnancy rash that could appear during your third trimester, so as I noticed the itchiness get worse and worse within a three hour period I looked up the rash.

Turns out there are about four different rashes that you can get during pregnancy. The most common rash is a rash called PUPPP which affects about 1 in every 200 pregnancies, that does not affect the baby; however there is another rash called intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancywhich can affect the babies lungs and cause developmental issues. Reading about these rashes I knew I needed to get into my Dr. right away. I called my OBGYN, and they told me they needed me to come in right away so they can evaluate the rash. My Dr. looked at me for about 4 minutes, and evaluated the small but itchy rash which had started on my lower belly, legs, and arms. "Looks like you have PUPPP!" He said matter of factly. He had the nurse take a blood sample just to make sure it wasn't the more serious rash but he was pretty sure it was PUPPP. He told me to treat it with over the counter hydrocortisone & benadryl 50/50 cream twice a day, and to try and stay cool as heat will irritate the rash.

Going about my business I returned to work for a few more shifts. By Tuesday afternoon the rash had gotten much worse and seemed to not be getting any better. I happened to be having a branch visit from my regional that day, who basically begged me to go home. I didn't even realize I was scratching away while talking to her. That evening I went right home, took a cold shower and put on  the treatment. I ended up sleeping only 2 hours that evening, and had woken up in the middle of the night with the most horrendous pain all over my thighs. The rash seemed to be everywhere, and absolutely unbearable. My calves were covered in these huge red blisters that looked like they were full of puss. I literally SCREAMED and cried at the top of my lungs in desperation for relief. By the time 6am rolled around and I was supposed to leave to work, I couldn't even move. I now had to call out from work a second time, and was desperate to find a cure for this rash. I called my Dr. again as soon as  his office opened,and they suggested I come in that day at 11. 

When I went into see my Dr., he just looked at me with such sorrow and pitty. He did let me know that my blood results came back and it was not the "bad" rash, but it was one of the most severe cases of PUPPP he has seen. He did prescribe me a higher dosage hydrocortisone cream to use SPARINGLY twice a day. He said that unfortunately there wasn't much he could do, as the only cure is to give birth, and that his treatment would only help with relieving the symptoms. He recommended I go on bed rest, as my case was quite severe, and needed to monitored, as to not cause distress on the baby.

So what is PUPPP? "Up to 1 percent of pregnant women develop a condition characterized by itchy, red bumps and larger patches of a hive-like rash on their bellies. This is called pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP) or polymorphic eruption of pregnancy. PUPPP usually begins in the third trimester and is more common among women carrying twins and those having their first baby. The eruptions usually show up first on the abdomen around or in stretch marks (if you have any) and may spread to your thighs, buttocks, and arms. PUPPP is harmless for you and your baby, but it can itch like crazy!" - www.babycenter.com

Itch like crazy? Itch like crazy? How about itches so much you become crazy, have sleepless nights, and the only thing that sometimes will give you relief is to rub raw ice cubes until your skin is numb. For the past week and a half Ive had to deal with this horrible rash. I have cried and screamed bloody murder, begging God to to get me though this pain. If I was far enough along my Dr. would induce me, but he doesn't feel comfortable inducing before 38 weeks. I am now 33 and a half weeks, which means I have to deal with this rash for another month! :( I am so thankful to all friends and family who have given me at home remedies, and all the different foums online. Besides the 50/50 teatment I do in the morning and at night, I find relief from Sarna Cream, Gold Bond Body Lotion, Grandpa's Tar Soap, Ice Packs, and COLD environments. I lay in my bed or on my Mom's couch with the AC on, and fans blowing directly on me in light cotton pjs. I have ben in so much pain, that I have taken up to 6 cold showers a day just to "survive". 

My Dr. has now put me on bed rest, which means I am off of work 4 weeks before my planned leave. Not only am I now missing out on my biggest event of the year my department hosts, which is an amazing runway show at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel, with over 300 customers attending... I also will be returning to work 4 weeks sooner than planned, which is time taken away from Stella, and my bonding period (This absolutely devastates me).


Here are some photos of my PUPPP rash. It spread to every inch of my body sparing only my face, chest, and back. The rash has flared up severely on my legs, but is shown up on my calves, arms, fingers, hands, hips, butt, arm pits, feet, and toes. 

My Legs



Ankles

 My arms



This is the ugly side of pregnancy :( Those of you who complain about stretch marks I envy you. I am just three days away from hitting the 34 week mark and am sooooo over being pregnant. Labor doesn't scare me at ALL, I am ready! I can't wait for Stella to be here. I know that after the morning sickness, progesterone treatments, nausea, indigestion, back aches, food aversions, weight gain, sore boobs, the puppps rash, let downs of negative pregnancy tests, and even the miscarriage... the end result of being a Mommy to Stella will be completely worth it, and I am forever grateful to God for this blessing.The number one, most important thing, no matter what kind of pain I have to endure, is that Stella is healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment